Since 2009, ICAP has held courses on emissions trading for developing countries and emerging economies. The ICAP courses provide an intensive ten day to two week long introduction to all aspects of the design and implementation of emissions trading systems (ETS) as a tool to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions.
- Data collection and inventory generation
- Allocation methods
- Offset mechanisms
- Scope and coverage of a trading scheme
- Adequate monitoring, reporting and verification
- Registry design and implementation.
- Stakeholders engagement
- Competitiveness concerns
- Impacts on and responses from covered entities
- Market analysis and drivers
- Opportunities offered by creating a global carbon market of linked domestic and regional systems
For each course, between 25 and 30 highly qualified policymakers as well as stakeholders from the non-governmental, academic and private sectors are selected.